Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hedge cutting time


Now that the young birds have flown their nests its time to cut our garden hedges. Every time I cut our high hedge I say a silent "thank you" to my Dad who 35 years ago gave me a stepladder he no longer needed. The ladder is strong and stable with a large platform two metres above the ground and a safety rail to stop you falling off. I must have spent hundreds of hours on that platform, cutting hedges in the five house we have lived in. On one house move, which took us 200 miles (320 kilometres) north from Warwickshire to Southport, the removal men forgot to take the ladder out of the large box over their cab. We thought it was lost for ever but it turned up in a storage depot in Worcester (south of Warwickshire) and was returned to us some months later. So, thanks to Dad, whose birth centenary it is next month.

No comments: